Search This Blog

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Shelly's Seizure Update

This morning they moved Shelly from the NICU to the Seizure monitoring unit. She hadn’t had any seizures through the night. We were hopeful today that seizures would come and they did. She began having mild seizure activity that was only detectable by the internal monitor, but they were not showing up in her body. We had to stay with her to monitor when the seizures showed in her body. Well, my dad and brother had made it to visit and get Satch’s truck home and my mom and I saw an opportunity to take a break and we walked down to the street. My phone rang and it was my brother telling me that Shelly had gone into seizure. We hurried back upstairs.

They had given her 2 mg of ativan to stop the seizure by the time we arrived. The seizure didn’t stop, so they gave her 2 more. The seizure didn’t stop. The neurologist asked me how long it takes for her to come out of seizure. I told him when you give her enough meds! She was having a generalized tonic clonic that went static (for those of you who know seizure terminology.) The doc was really concerned and gave her another 2 mg of ativan, it was 45 minutes into the seizure. Still it didn’t stop, so he asked me how much we give her. I told him 10 mg of diastat at a time up to 20 mg. He called the nurse for the ambu bag and we cleared the room (except for mom and me.)  They gave her another 2 mg of ativan and loaded her with dilantin. She finally started showing signs of the seizure activity slowing down. He asked if she had ever had a static seizure before and I explained that for the last several years all of her seizures were static. They were very concerned and sent her back to the NICU.

She is doing better tonight. She is sleeping mostly and Satch is staying with her in the NICU.

The docs have decided that they have enough info for surgery and that they don’t want to see her go into stasis again (prolonged seizure.) They have her back on her meds and it seems that they may do the surgery Monday afternoon. We will know better tomorrow.  Yahweh has blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment