Search This Blog

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Project of the week… Deodorant!

This week we are testing a homemade, healthy deodorant. This has been recommended by a friend (Pamela) and will likely work well for me (since I can go days without deodorant with no issues). However, with family members of different ethnicities we have decided to make a batch and test it out to see if it will work for all body chemistries and types.  I have enlisted the help of friends that are having a hard time finding a natural deodorant that lasts all day to participate this week and will post the results next weekend. If you would like to try it and let me know how it works for you and your family, please feel free to make the recipe below and try it out.
We will be trying the below recipe without essential oils, with Thieves’ Oil, and with a citrus essential oil.
I hope that you benefit from this recipe.

Deodorant
Equal parts Corn Starch and Baking Soda and Coconut Oil*
We made ½ cup of each. This made enough for our home and our friend. 

Put the corn starch and baking soda in a bowl and mix together. Cut in the coconut oil and work in the powders with the back of the spoon to form a smooth paste adjusting the coconut oil until you have the consistency you like. Store in a small jar with a tight fitting lid (a wide mouth is preferred). Scoop a little out with your finger and apply to your pits like lotion. It doesn't stain, it doesn't show, it goes on "dry feeling", it lasts ALL day and night, it has no scent**.

*For storage sake -note: Do not substitute another oil for coconut oil. If you are not familiar with coconut oil it gets hard when cool (room temp) and wet (like olive oil) when warmed. So keep that in mind...I keep it in my bathroom and it stays solid, but if it gets super hot or stored in a car while traveling - it will soften or "get wet" in storage. It doesn't hurt it...but keep that in mind with your container for travel.

** I used a few drops of Thieves' essential oil for fragrance and added bacterial protection, and left some unscented so I have fragrance options. The added oil made it creamier and more like a lotion.


PS:  Pamela says it doesn't sting after a shave either!


It seemed a little dry and if I was going to leave it this way, I would add more coconut oil.

Once I added the thieves' oil it was creamy and smooth!





No comments:

Post a Comment